Most people know that it’s important to keep your hair healthy by shampooing and conditioning it regularly.
But did you know that there are specific reasons why salons shampoo hair after dyeing it?
In this article, we’ll explore the reasons why shampooing is necessary after dyeing your hair, and we’ll also provide some tips on how to protect your hair from damage.
5 Main Reasons Why Salons Wash Hair After Coloring
Well, let’s break it down: why do salons wash your hair after coloring?
It’s pretty common for salons to wash your hair after they color it. Washing your hair after coloring is an important part of the coloring process.
There are a few reasons why this is done.
1. To Introduce You to New Products
Your stylist likely used different products on your hair during the coloring process than what you use at home. This is because professional colorists have access to higher-quality products that are not available to the general public.
After your hair has been colored, your stylist will want to introduce you to the new products they used so that you can purchase them and continue to care for your hair properly at home.
2. To Relax You
After sitting in the salon chair for a while, it’s understandable that you would want to just relax. Washing your hair after coloring can be a therapeutic experience.
The water can help to relax your scalp and the act of shampooing can help to massage your head. This can all lead to a feeling of relaxation.
3. To Remove Excess Dye
Washing your hair immediately after a color service helps to remove any excess dye that was not able to be rinsed out during the coloring process.
This is important because it will help to prevent your hair from looking too dark or stained.
4. To Even Out Color
If you have highlights, lowlights, or balayage, washing your hair after coloring will help to even out the color and give you more consistent results.
6. To Prevent Damage
Washing your hair after coloring can also help to prevent damage from the chemicals in the hair dye.
When you wash your hair, it will remove any leftover chemicals that could potentially dry out your strands or cause other damage.
So, there you have it! These are the main reasons why salons wash your hair after coloring. If you’re ever curious about why your stylist does something, just ask them.
They’ll be more than happy to explain it to you.
Do You Shampoo Your Hair Immediately After You Dye It at Home?
No, you shouldn’t shampoo your hair immediately after you dye it if you don’t have specific shampoos or conditioners. Rinsing the excess pigments from your strands with cool or cold water is enough.
You can use a color-safe conditioner on your hair after you color it. Many dye kits include a tiny container of color-enhancing conditioner, so don’t worry if yours doesn’t.
Conditioning your hair after coloring helps to prevent damage from occurring and keeps your newly dyed hair healthy, glossy, and beautiful.
How Long to Wait to Wash Hair After Coloring?
There is no definitive answer to this question as everyone’s hair will respond differently to coloring. However, most experts recommend waiting at least 72 hours before wash hair after dyeing.
This gives your hair cuticles time to close and trap the dye pigments inside your strands, keeping your hair color looking brighter for longer.
After the first three days have passed, you can continue washing your hair pretty much like normal. Just be sure to use a sulfate-free, color-safe shampoo to clean your strands.
How to Wash Hair After Dyeing It at Home
One way to help keep your newly dyed hair looking its best is to wash it properly after you dye it. It is important to wait at least two days after dyeing your hair before washing it.
This will give the color time to set and will help to prevent any bleeding or fading. Here are a few tips on how to wash hair after dyeing it:
- Start by wetting your hair completely with water.
- Use a color-safe shampoo and conditioner. Look for products that are specifically designed for colored hair. Apply a small amount of shampoo to your hair and lather it up. Be sure to avoid getting the shampoo in your eyes.
- Be gentle when washing your hair. Avoid using hot water, which can strip away color. Use cool or lukewarm water instead.
- Use a wide-tooth comb or your fingers to detangle your hair while it’s wet. This will help prevent breakage.
- Rinse your hair with cold water before you step out of the shower. This will help seal in color and prevent fading.
- If your hair feels dry after washing, apply a leave-in conditioner or treatment.
Follow these tips and your dyed hair will look great for weeks to come!
How to Take Care of Coloring Hair
Coloring your hair can be a fun and easy way to change up your look, but it’s important to take care of your new color with the right products and techniques. Here are a few tips on how to take care of coloring hair:
- Choose the right shampoo and conditioner for colored hair. There are special shampoos and conditioners available that are designed to help protect and extend the life of colored hair. Be sure to read the labels carefully to find the right product for your needs.
- Avoid hot water. Hot water can cause colored hair to fade more quickly, so stick to lukewarm or cool water when washing your hair.
- Use a color-safe hairspray or other styling product. Hairspray and other styling products can contain ingredients that can cause colored hair to fade, so be sure to choose a product that is specifically designed for use on colored hair.
- Limit your time in the sun. The sun’s ultraviolet rays can cause colored hair to fade, so try to stay out of direct sunlight as much as possible. If you must be in the sun, wear a hat or scarf over your hair to protect it from the sun’s rays.
- Protect your color when swimming. Chlorine and other chemicals in pool water can cause colored hair to fade, so wet your hair with clean water before getting into a pool or hot tub. You can also wear a swim cap to protect your hair.
Following these tips can help you keep your color looking fresh and vibrant for longer. If you have any questions about how to take care of coloring hair, be sure to ask your stylist or colorist.
They can help you choose the right products and techniques for your specific hair type and color.
What happens if I wash my hair 24 hours after highlights?
It takes at least 48 hours for hair color to fully settle into the hair strands. As a result, if you wash your hair 24 hours after highlighting it, the color will soon fade and become lifeless.
Can I wash my hair the same day I dye it?
No, it is generally not a good idea to wash your hair the same day you dye it. This is because the color is still in the process of setting and washing your hair can cause it to fade prematurely. It is best to wait at least 24 hours before shampooing your hair after coloring it.
Should you use purple shampoo after dying your hair?
Yes, purple shampoo can be used after dying your hair. In fact, it is often recommended to help prolong the life of your color and keep it from fading too quickly.
Purple shampoo works by neutralizing brassy tones in dyed hair, which can help to keep your color looking vibrant for longer.
Can I use regular shampoo after coloring my hair?
No, you should not use regular shampoo after coloring your hair. This is because regular shampoo can strip away color, causing it to fade prematurely. Instead, you should use a color-safe or sulfate-free shampoo to help extend the life of your color and prevent fading.
Should hair be washed before coloring?
No, your hair does not need to be washed before coloring. In fact, it is often recommended not to wash your hair prior to coloring as this can cause the color to be less vibrant and also fade more quickly.
To Wash or Not to Wash – Summary
It’s pretty common for salons to wash your hair after they color it. There are a few reasons why this is done, including introducing you to new products, relaxing you, removing excess dye, evening out color, and preventing damage.
Don’t wash your hair immediately after coloring at home. Most experts recommend waiting at least 72 hours before washing hair after dyeing in order to allow the cuticles time to close and trap the dye pigments inside the strands.
After the first three days have passed, customers can continue washing their hair like normal. Just be sure to use a sulfate-free, color-safe shampoo.
- Best Purple Hair Dye
- Best Blue Hair Dye
- How to Get Green Out of Bleached Hair
- Can You Dye Synthetic Hair
- Can You Bleach Synthetic Hair
- Does Toner Damage Hair
- How Long Does Toner Last